Towards new expression

Towards new expression

domenica 8 marzo 2009

Torward new expression



During this period of my research (which preceded and followed publication of Towards New Expression, Rome, Italy 1972-73) I oriented my studies to restoring those characteristics of the female image which had been intentionally hidden or transformed by a whole tradition in the visual arts. I also wanted to parallel particular female structures with certain elements in nature.

I particularly wanted to study objects at close range: the female sexual organ, a conch shell, the structure of a flower, all those secondary symbols such as architectural details, drapery in Roman statuary, a sarcophagus or o ther elements in sculpture and painting where it is still possible to perceive a primordial naturalness of female symbols which have gradually become covered up.

I am also aware of those elements in the human figure which present both female and male characteristics. This kind of dualism is present in the tradition of the visual arts and attracted me as other ambiguous phenomena that the artist could not reveal directly. I try to uncover a structure of form in the hidden message which is not immediately apparent. As the field for this research I have chosen predominately classical art: Etruscan, Roman sculpture and Roman painting which are the very origins of western culture.

The surfaces of my work are often very dark and reflecting. I like to veil the exactitude of details and leave only an indeterminate halo. At other times the meaning is more than clear…

Suzanne Santoro 1976




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento